We’re back, and are proud to announce the Sheffield 2023 Powerlifting Championships.
Launched in partnership with the International Powerlifting Federation, Sheffield 2023 will showcase the stars of our sport in a high-profile event with the largest prize fund in powerlifting history.
The event is the first of its kind in the United Kingdom, bringing together 12 men and 12 women to battle it out for world records and the title of champion of champions.
As a result of COVID-19 the competition could not go ahead as planned in 2020. Planning to bring the event back has been underway since this time, and we are ready to welcome powerlifters from around the world.
Athletes will be coming together for a truly international competition, with spectators in attendance at Sheffield’s historic City Hall, minutes from SBD’s headquarters and manufacturing base. All athletes will compete on Saturday, March 25th.
To automatically qualify for the event, athletes will need to compete in the IPF Classic Worlds taking place in June 2022, after which a select number will receive invitations to Sheffield 2023, and will have the opportunity to defend their place among the world’s best.
Intended as a celebration of the sport and its history, Sheffield 2023 will see fierce competition and world records fall.
Subscribe to get the latest news on Sheffield 2023
• Competed in an IPF World or Regional Classic Powerlifting event.
• Currently in good standing and not under suspension from the IPF.
• No prior anti-doping offences warranting a ban of more than one year.
Athlete Selection (subject to meeting Athlete Eligibility)
• First Round - 2022 World Classic Open Powerlifting Champions, who total at least 95% of the Classic Open world record total for their division, reflecting IPF records as of June 5, 2022.
• Second Round - Top performing athlete from each unrepresented IPF region in the IPF World Open Classic Powerlifting Championships 2022, ranked according to the percentage of the open world record total for their division, conditional on totaling at least 95% of the Classic Open world record total for their division, reflecting IPF records as of June 5, 2022.
• Wild Cards - Remaining slots to be selected by SBD.